Here are the top five culprits of bumper scratches and damages on today’s roads:
1. Rear-end accidents: Rear-end accidents are the number one reason why your car might need dent repair. More than 2.5 million rear-end collisions occur every year in the United States alone, and many more accidents aren’t reported to authorities. While some of these accidents cause major damages, the majority of them just leave minor bumper scratches and dings, thanks primarily to the way new cars are constructed.
2. Backing up: A large number of drivers hit the edges of garage doors, poles, and even toys left in the driveway when they back up. Even the best rear view mirrors can’t show everything in your path.
3. Parallel parking mishaps: Parallel parking is notoriously tricky, even for experienced drivers. Inadequately judging the amount of room you have to park often leads to those tiny little jolts that leave telltale bumper scratches and dents.
4. Rocks and dirt: While most people are aware that small rocks can chip away at a vehicle, causing a need for bumper painting, it’s also important to be wary of excessive dirt. Strong winds that carry dirt can create miniature “sandstorms” that can cause tiny damages to your car’s exterior.
5. Pedestrians and bicycles: A car doesn’t have to be damaged by high impacts or fast speeds in order for bumper scratches and dings to appear. People dropping keys, wayward grocery carts, bicycles misjudging distances, or even teenagers standing or jumping on a bumper can cause unsightly damages.
The good news is, bumper repair doesn’t have to be costly. Most of these types of accidents aren’t large enough to warrant an insurance claim, and for many drivers, the deductible on an insurance policy is actually larger than the cost of getting repairs through a reputable mobile bumper repair provider.